Thursday, February 17, 2011

I am my own work out buddy.

Life.  She's interesting.

---

I went to a poetry reading tonight.  I've been reading Kim Addonizio since her first book came out in 1994.  It's the one I took for her to sign tonight.  The reading got my blood pumping, and reminded me how much I've got in me yet to still get out.

I'm a playwright. We know that, right?  A good one, I think.  A produced one.  A produced in NYC one.  A not-yet published one, but I'm working on that.

I enjoy writing fiction from time to time, but there's no burning passion in it for me.  If I'm going to tell that kind of story, I'd rather tell it on stage.

But poetry.  There's a poet in here, too.  A published in some crap tiny lit mags one.  But it's there.  And sometimes there are things I need to say and a play just won't do.  It needs meter.  Or rhyme.  Or brevity.  And that's how the poems grow out of me.

I think poetry and theatre are sisters. Both insist on every word being vital.  Both depend on the sound of the word--and are better when spoken out loud in front of an audience than read silently on the page in your bedroom.  (Well.  Most of the time. There are some of both better read silently in your bedroom.)

I've got stuff in me that needs to get out.

---

Tomorrow is Friday.  I love love love Fridays lately.  Not because it's the last day of the week.  Not because I can wear jeans if I wear a purple shirt.  Not because I don't have office hours.  I love Fridays because Leo doesn't come in on Fridays and I don't have to watch him avoid me.  No tension in the air.

---

I appreciate the concern about my caloric intake!  It inspired me to do some math and some comparing of different recommendations.  I used to aim for 1800 a day, but that was when I weighed 60lbs more.  But in light of the amount of working out I do and the muscle I already have that needs "fed" I've settled upon 1500 even on days I don't work out.  I'll see how that goes for a couple of weeks and adjust if needed.  I don't have huge expectations.  I'd be happy to average a pound a week.

I have found, for me, the best/easiest way to lose weight is to focus on something else.  In the beginning it was my blood sugar levels.  Working to get those under control--through diet and exercise and some oral medication--really helped me drop a lot of weight.  Without dropping the weight being the focus.  Then I tried the whole "lose weight, lose weight!" thing and I plateau-ed.  I plateau-ed, but I also lost a size during that time (about 2-3 months.)  Perhaps my body needed time to shift about.

Now that my blood sugars are well under control, I'm turning the focus to fitness.  And now that I am my own work out buddy, my goals are my own.  And wanting to run is back in the picture.  Tomorrow Bailey and I are gonna hit the trails.  (Bailey is my dog--so not a work out buddy who has opinions much different from my own.) 

---

At the poetry reading I sat next to someone I had a bit of a crush on last year.

I asked him to coffee.  He said yes. 

We'll see.

1 comment:

  1. I'm my own workout buddy, too. sigh, I'm not as hard on myself as my imaginary buddy would be. boo!

    ReplyDelete