Monday, January 10, 2011

honey, honey

I have a kitchen full of dishes.  Not just a sink full.  A kitchen full.  Oh dirty dishes.  Kitchen full of dirty dishes.

Yesterday I made Tom Kha Gai (Thai Chicken Coconut soup) and because I wasn't feeling well, didn't really clean up after myself too much.  Tonight I made a big pot of beans and ham and another big pot of chili.  I'm getting ready to hibernate or something because I've got a quiche and a pot of split pea soup ready to go for tomorrow.  First I need to clean the kitchen, though.  Those damn dishes.

The plan is to have a week's worth of dinners in the fridge and then a freezer full of portions that I can either eat soon or later.  Depending.  On mood and taste and all of that jazz.  I like having a full freezer.

When my mom was so sick, and then after she died, I used to go home on the weekends and cook for my dad.  I'd make all kinds of things to freeze so he'd have dinner during the week.  He loved my spaghetti.  I'd make different soups, stews, and meatloaf.  Before I went back on Sunday evenings I'd make him a big bowl of egg salad and a big bowl of tuna salad for his lunches.

Since he died I don't cook nearly as often.  And I miss being useful like that.

So much so that, um, well, some of what I'm freezing is going to end up in someone else's freezer.  I know it'll be a nice surprise when he gets back, and, well, he loves my cooking.  He goes on about my cooking.  I want to hear him go on about my cooking.  I can let myself have that a little longer, can't I?

I put the kabosh on the dating dud from the weekend.  Too many texts and too many texts suggesting cuddling and calling me honey.  I'm not your honey after one date.  I'm no one's honey.  You have to earn me being your honey, honey. And I'm not going to cuddle with you after one date, either.

It's a requirement that the man in my life be half as good as my dog.  Also a requirement that he have the ability to love her half as much as I do.  The latter, at least, didn't seem likely.

I'm going to go do those dishes now, have a glass of milk, read a bit, and call it a night.  Need to get some rest so I can continue cooking in the morning and hang out with Jessie in the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment