Monday, March 28, 2011

and I did it with jazz hands

It really is all mental.  Just about all of it.

Mimi had me do side planks today.  Side planks.  Oy.  What's a side plank?





Yeah.  I told her I couldn't.  Then I did it on my left side.  It was hard, but I did it relatively quickly.  But then came my right side.  And I told her I couldn't do it.  And I kept trying.  And telling her I couldn't do it.  And she kept telling me I could.

Then she had me do the left side again, and as I was getting up into the plank, she said, "Remember how this feels.  And re-create it on the other side."

And I did.  I totally did.

And I mentioned before that eating hasn't been so good for me lately.  I've caved to temptation, sweet temptation, far too often.

But not today. Not when I was at the coffee shop and they had muffins.  Not when I went to the other coffee shop and they had cherry cake.  Not when I went in to grab a bottle of water at the gas station and had all that candy looking at me.  Not when I went to the grocery store for dog food.  I thought about it.  Each and every time I was just THIS close to doing it.  But, somehow I made it into a game.  A "I bet you can do it.  I bet you can get out of here without stuffing something bad in your face" game.  And I let myself celebrate and be happy about it.  Let myself think of me as strong.  And in control.

Sometimes it really is about just believing you can do it.

If I can do a side plank, I sure as hell can pass on a piece of cake.

1 comment:

  1. dude, they're HARD!!! my arms are like so much flotsam by the time we get to those in yoga class, and my wrists are highly unreliable.

    you GO with your lady self!

    ReplyDelete